EU-based Legal Consultant. Independent Contractor. Interim Counsel. Pro bono Legal Advisor.
Since August 2020, Christine Nikander has been working as an independent legal contractor and interim legal counsel in the EU. Christine studied law in the Netherlands, the UK, Finland, and the USA. She is a graduate of Leiden University, Edinburgh University Law School, and Columbia Law School. After graduating with her first LL.M., she worked at a large law firm in Amsterdam for three years.
Her legal focus lays in environmental law, human rights, public international law, EU regulatory law, international arbitration, intellectual property, commercial litigation and corporate social responsibility. Christine also has a fair amount of experience with the drafting and negotiation of IP licensing agreements.
Throughout her career, Christine has regularly provided pro bono legal advice to social enterprises and young start-ups.
Christine Nikander brings a wide variety of unique soft and hard skills to the table. She is also a very quick learner.
Apart from just studying and working in law, Christine also:
- studied natural and environmental sciences at University
- took courses in journalism and has experience in communications
- has lived in 5 countries and has experience leading diverse intercultural teams
- can work in English, German and Finnish (with a full passive understanding of Dutch)
- holds degrees in international law and environmental law
- has experience working as an associate at a large law firm, as a legal counsel, and as a freelance jurist
- has worked extensively with young social enterprises and start-ups
- has founded a company of her own and knows what it means to be a young entrepreneur
- studied sculpture for a year and currently also works as a freelance illustrator
- is a strong team player and an empathetic manager